Prostate cancers can be approached in different ways depending on their characteristics. Several modalities can be proposed, either alone or in combination.
Depending on the case, the objective(s) is (are):
- Monitor the disease evolution to delay the initiation of a treatment;
- Removing or reducing the tumour and/or metastases;
- Reducing the risk of cancer returning;
- Slowing down tumour or metastases development;
- Treat the symptoms caused by the disease to ensure the best possible quality of life.
Treatment options depending on the stage of prostate cancer are:
- Active surveillance
- Radical prostatectomy (surgical removal of the prostate)
The care plan should be discussed with the urologist to define the best treatment strategy based on the cancer characteristics and patient’s choices.